The plotting has worked. The novel I’m working on has many threads which I was unsuccessfully trying to tie together on a spreadsheet. I wrote them out on individual pieces of paper, spread them across the floor and started linking them together. Having them physically in front of me made it so much easier to see which ones could be grouped together and also how they will work with and add to the main story arc.
The whole novel’s now there and ready to write … I’ve scrapped chapter 1, re-written it and am ready to surge on with the story. My protagonist is going to have lots of adventures throughout the novel and working on the premise that you need to have experienced something before writing about it, I’ve got a great few months ahead J